Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Crock Pot Pork-Stuffed Peppers

Todays Recipe. - This morning I loaded up the crock pot with a primal dish from Marks Daily Apple.  The Crock Pot Pork-Stuffed Peppers recipe promised all the ease of a traditional slow cooker, comfort food meal with a paleo, or primal, spin.  So, how did this recipe fare in my, sometimes, incapable hands?  Read on to find out.

Ingredients - This recipe didnt require any hunting for veggies.  Everything was well known to me and was easy to find.  I did take my time in picking out the green peppers though.  I wanted something with a good base that would support itself and a belly full of ground pork.

I changed up the recipe only to add 2 peppers because my crockpot could hold them.  This allowed me to fill the peppers and not have extra filling to stuff into the cracks of the crock pot.

FitDay Calculations - FitDay Gave me the following macronutrient breakdown.

Entire Recipe
Total Calories:3,095
Fat: 212g
Carbs: 128g
Protein: 178g

Per Pepper (Total divided by 6):

Total Calories:515
Fat: 35.3g
Carbs: 21.3g
Protein: 29.6g


Cost - The total cost for all of my ingredients came out to about 18 dollars.  

Preparation - Ok, this is getting ridiculous, the third review Ive done and this is the third time that Ive had to mash up ground meat of some sort with my hands!  Not that Im complaining or anything,  I think its fun to get all mucky, but I really need to pick something that doesnt have ground meat in the ingredients list.  Mark's recipe mentions that you can either use the food processor or manually chop your veggies.  After about 5 minutes of earlier morning, coffee driven conversation with myself, we (both myself and I) decided to go ahead and use the food processor.  It's really not that big of a deal to clean and its pretty fast and convenient.

There really isnt much to this recipe in the preparation phase.  The magic all comes later while you are at work and the peppers are magically cooking themselves.  A word of caution though, be gentle when stuffing your peppers.  I split one of mine open when I got a little too vigorous with the stuffing.  In fact, I think I was thinking back to that scene in Little Mermaid (Dont judge me I have a 6 yo daughter) when the chef is stuffing the crab with lettuce, lol.  Ahem, anyways, just take it easy on those poor peppers.

Cooking - The cooking step was as easy as plugging in the crockpot and turning it to low.  The hardest part would be remembering to come back home in time to turn the crockpot off.  If you arent going to be home for longer than 9 hours, I would suggest getting a timer at home depot to set the crockpot start time with (unless yours already has a built in timer)

Eating, tasting - This recipe was another winner for me.  The peppers tasted great right out of the crockpot and actually only seemed to get better over the next few days as left-overs!  I could have done with a little more spice and I would actually like to try a hybrid of this recipe using the Meatza seasonings.  I think that would be fantastic!


Verdict - Another keeper!  A delicious and easy to make dish that makes your whole house smell delectable!

Sources - 

Marks Daily Apple
Crock-Pot Pork Stuffed Peppers
FitDay Nutrition Calculations

No comments: