Friday, May 27, 2011

What Community Means to Me

I wrote this speech back in 2008.  My family was hosting a movie night for our neighborhood.  The intent was to get people in the neighborhood more involved in each others lives.  I wanted to live in a community that looked after each other, that knew who belonged on our streets, and who didnt.  I just ran across this on my computer and I thought I would share it.  I hope that you can find something useful out of it.

Mako Lane Movie Night Aug 9 2008

Thank you all for coming tonight.  Before we start the movie I just wanted to say a few words about what tonight means to me and hopefully to you as well.
Look around you, we sit on approximately ½ acre of land and in that ½ acre there are approximately 600 people living together!  If you really boil it down and think about it, when you turn in for the night you are probably sleeping not more than 5 feet from your nearest neighbor!  But do you know their name?  Do you know what their favorite food is, or what they do for work or recreation?  I would be willing to bet that you know more about the characters from “The Real OC” that you do about the person that lives across the drive from you.  It becomes so easy to just come home, pull into the garage and forget all about the world outside our own 4 walls.  But who do you call If you forget to close your garage door?  Where do you go when you need to borrow a cup of sugar?  Who do you wave to when you pull into Lakeview Townhomes?
Now, most, if not all, of you would agree that we live in a community.  But what is a community? Webster’s defines “community” as
1: a unified body of individuals: b: the people with common interests living in a particular area; c: an interacting population of various kinds of individuals in a common location d: a group of people with a common characteristic or interest living together within a larger society

To me, though, community means so much more than that dry, drab, depressing definition.  Community is when I can call Bryan, my neighbor, and ask him to feed our cat for us while we are gone.  Community is being able to trust your house with your neighbors, knowing that they will look after your house while you are out of town.  Community is baking your neighbor a pie because you know that they like it, or saying hello to those that you pass by while you are on a walk.  Community is knowing that your kids are safe when they are playing outside, knowing that they have many pairs of eyes watching to make sure that they are always ok.  Community is knowing that if, by chance you accidentally leave your garage door open one of your neighbors will close it for you.  Community is offering to help pick up a water heater from Home Depot (thanks Jeff).  Community is calling your neighbor, whom you know is alone, when there is an earthquake, just to make sure that they are ok.
I feel blessed that you all came out tonight.  I hope that you are enjoying yourselves and I hope that you have met someone new and feel that you are now more a part of this community than ever before. If you still feel that you haven’t met someone new then I will help you out with that.   
My name is Nick Cruz and I live at XXX Mako Lane.  My wife’s name is Susan and we have two wonderful kids, JT and Eden.  We are born and raised Orange Countians.  All four of us were birthed at St Jude Hospital in Fullerton (no, not at the same time).  We recently started going to church in Yorba Linda, and we have season passes to Disneyland.  Susan plays in a women’s adult soccer league and I like to do Crossfit.  Both of us are card carrying SCUBA divers.  Both JT and Eden are in gymnastics, Eden loves to sing and JT loves to read.  Susan is a librarian at JT and Eden’s school and I am mechanical designer.
Now you know some things about my family.   I would like to encourage you to share some things about yourself with someone new.  Community is not about one night per year, it’s about a continual building of relationships with those around you.
In order to stay in good graces with the HOA I would ask that you please pick up after yourselves when the movie is over.  There is a large trash can over here for your convenience.  We also have fresh popcorn over by the tables.  Please silence your cell phones and pagers at this time.  I hope that you will enjoy our presentation of Nim’s Island. 

Thank you,

Nick, Susan , JT and Eden

No comments: