Thursday, June 2, 2011

The new Paleolithic Diet Newsletter Just Released

Im writing this blog post because I wanted to share a newly evolved (pun intended) newsletter or group called  PaleolithicDiet.com and because Im hoping to score a ticket to the Ancestral Health Symposium this summer.

Firstly, let me share a little bit about what PaleolithicDiet.com will have going on.  It will be distributed via email and aims to "assist in stewarding Paleo/primal/evolutionary/ancestral eating responsibly as it goes mainstream."


Have you ever played that telephone game where you whisper something into someones ear, they whisper it to their neighbor and so it goes around the circle until the very end, where, the last person stands up and announces what they believe your original message was?  The point of the game is that no matter what, the message gets lost somewhere along the way and your original message of "I like to eat Buffalo beef jerky under a shade tree." turns into "I like to play roller derby while wearing a sock and chewing on Bubbalicious gum."  That is kind of how I see the whole paleo movement sometimes.  


There are so many people coming on board and usually they start because someone told them about it and its amazing benefits.  But, then they may add a little twist to it, they omit a few of the basic tenets, add their own fudge factor, etc, and before you know it, the original, simple message no longer rings true.  And the people at the end of the 'phone conversation line' wonder why they dont get results.  They get frustrated and walk away with a bad view of a way of eating, that if adhered to as originally stated, would have provided them with amazing results.


What I am hoping to gain from publications and user groups such as PaleolithicDiet.com is that they will provide a North Star for many of its readers to refocus on.  To allow us to find a centralized clearing house for great, up-to-date scientific literature, opinion, and products regarding the whole paleo way of eating.  I see the website or email newsletter to be a great tool to share with new converts or potential converts as well!


Now, as far as why I should get one of those coveted tickets I will tell you a little bit about my journey.  I think I discovered Paleo about 2 or 3 years ago.  I had heard about Robb Wolf through Crossfit while he was still the nutrition cert guru.  This was way before his book or podcast.  Before paleo I had been a Zone diet adherent.  As they say though, once I went paleo, I couldnt go back.  Once I found Robb I started finding other professionals and bloggers like Mark Sisson, Loren Cordain, etc.  From there I made it onto twitter where I was able to easily connect with other like-minded individuals.  It was great!  There was so much to learn and the information was so readily available!  


Then, in March of 2010 I happened upon a link or a webpage to something called the Ancestral Health Symposium.  This event had not been advertised at all, noone had been mentioning it either, but I was ecstatic that there were going to be all of these paleo pro's in one place.  I knew it was going to be a HUGE deal and I wanted in!  I emailed them and told them I wanted to be on the interest list to be an attendee.  Eventually, as word got out, this event became all the buzz in the paleo world and rightly so with all of the big paleo names sharing one stage.  At the point when tickets when on sale I was kicking myself for not having the available funds to spring for a ticket.  I was beside myself with grief when I discovered that shortly thereafter the event had sold out.


Now, I am really hoping that I can score one of the available tickets because this event has been a dream for me since I first heard about it.  I know that sounds silly to most people but it truly is a dream of mine to attend this event.  If I am able to go, I am sure that I will walk away with so much more knowledge that I can disseminate to all of my friends and family allowing them to reap the same benefits from eating paleo that I have.


Thank you for considering my entry and thank you for putting together the PaleolithicDiet.com email newsletter!


-Nick

No comments: